Tips for acceptance of dua: Dua’a (اَلدُّعَاءُ) a beautiful Arabic word which means to call upon, ask, demand, cry out. Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said:
Dua’a is worship. ABU DAWUD
We people being weak of Emaan sometimes wonder why our dua’s aren’t being answered. This thought definitely crosses our minds at some point or another. We don’t know that there is more than just sitting on a musallah and raising our hands for dua’a. Dua’a may or may not be answered that all depends on Allah SWT. When you make dua’a this is what can be expected.
a) Dua’a will be answered immediately by Allah SWT, this is the lowest level of acceptance.
b) Allah SWT knows when is the right time for our dua’a to be answered and it will be postponed.
c) Instead of answering our dua’a Allah SWT will save us from an affliction that could have fallen upon us.
d) The reward of the dua’a is saved for the Hereafter, this being the highest level.
Why Isn’t My Dua’a Answered Immediately?
The path to acceptance of dua’a is lined with barriers set by none other than us, that can only be removed by our own effort. Certain conditions lead up to dua’as being answered or being heard.
- There are some SITUATIONS where your dua’a is accepted.
- There are TIMES when your dua’a can be accepted. Have a look at this Best Times To Make Dua’a
- Lastly, there is a certain ETIQUETTES that have to be followed to get your dua’as accepted.
How to Get Your Dua Accepted?
1 – Certain Situations in Which Duas are Accepted
A person if finds himself in one of these situations is very likely to get his dua’s answered.
- A person who has been wronged or opressesed
Beware of the supplication of the oppressed. For there is no barrier between it and Allah – BUKHARI
- A woman in labor
- A just ruler
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said
There are three whose supplications are not turned back: the just ruler, the fasting person until breaking the fast, and the supplication of the oppressed person. IBN MAJAH
2 – The Dua of Parents
- A parent making dua’a for his child
Three dua’as will not be rejected by Allah SWT: Dua of the parent for his child, dua of one who is fasting, and the dua of the traveler. – TIRMIDHI
3 – Dua For Fellow Muslims
- A Muslim making dua for another muslim brother.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said:
The supplication of a Muslim for his brother in his absence will certainly be answered. Every time he makes supplication for the good of his brother. The angel appointed for this particular task says Ameen, May it be for you, too! – MUSLIM
4 – Duas Made During Hajj & Umrah
- A person who is performing Hajj and Umrah
5 – Why Are Our Dua’as Being Withheld
Have you ever wondered, maybe it is something I am doing wrong that is leaving my dua’as unanswered? Have you tried to figure out what may be the problem? Here is a list of things we might be doing wrong that is leaving our dua’as unresponsive and how they can be rectified.
- Our dua’a is weak: We need to put our heart into our supplications, do not ask for anything that is prohibited or inappropriate. Ask from Allah alone, do not assocoate Him with anyone when asking. Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said:
A person’s dua’a will continue to be answered so long as he does not pray for something sinful or the breaking of family ties.” – MUSLIM
- Jumping right to the dua’a: Don’t just get down to the point, start of with praising Allah SWT, using one of His many glorious names, and send salutations to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said
When any one of you have performed salah (prayer) and wants to supplicate, let him begin with praising Allah SWT and glorifying Him, then send prayers upon the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. Then he may supplicate for whatever he wishes – TIRMIDHI
6 – Being in a State of Purity When Making Dua
- Wudhu and face The Qibla: Be in a state of wudhu and face the Qibla while making dua’a. It is not compulsory but it is recommended and desirable. Here’s our detailed guide on How To Perform Wudu (Ablution) & Islamic Quotes on Wudu.
7 – Making the Dua at Certain Times
- There are many favorable times mentioned in Hadith, for making supplication. The most regularly occuring times are tahajjud, between adhaan and iqama and at the end of obligatory prayers. The Messenger of Allah ﷺ was asked:
“At what time does the supplication find the greatest response?” He replied, “A supplication made during the middle of the last part of the night and after the conclusion of the obligatory prayers.” – TIRMIDHI
8 – Not Being Sinful
- Sins can be a barrier: Our sins can be one of the major obstructions to the path of dua’a. Do a good deed before making dua or present your good deeds to Allah SWT while making dua, like the men in the cave did when stuck. Make a habit of saying Astaghfar constantly.
9 – Set No Conditions
- While making dua’a set no conditions for Allah SWT, don’t tell Him how to do it, from where to do it and when to do it. He is Allah SWT All Knowing, He know best what to give us when and how. Just make your dua’a.
10 – Be Patient
- We know very well Allah SWT is fully capable of answering our dua’a the very next moment we make it, but the wait is our test. Messenger of Allah ﷺ said:
“The supplication of every one of you will be granted if he does not get impatient and say (for example): ‘I supplicated my Rabb but my prayer has not been granted.” – BUKHARI
Here are some more Beautiful Islamic Quotes on Patience.
- Consuming Haram: Be it, food, drink or wealth , haram is another big barrier in the path of our dua’as.
Allah’s Messenger ﷺ mentioned of a person who travels widely, his hair disheveled and covered with dust. He lifts his hands towards the sky and thus makes the supplication;
YA RABB! YA RABB!
while his food is Haram, his drink is haram, his clothing is haram and he is nourished with the haram, so how can he be answered? – MUSLIM
To help you out with this, we have compiled a list of Halal and Haram Food Items in Islam.
- Ask Allah first: When we have run out of worldy options then we decide to turn to Allah, first ask Allah whatever that is you want, then turn toward your resources.
- He will answer: Have complete faith that Allah SWT will answer, remember Allah SWT does not have limited resources, He can provide you from somewhwere you have never expected to get anything, no one can answer but Him.
Call on Allah while having the full conviction that He will answer, and realize that Allah does not answer the dua that proceeds from a heedless, inattentive heart. – TIRMIDHI
There are many reasons why our dua’as are being withheld, we should try to look for our shortcomings and work towards fixing them. Never losing hope that Allah will not listen instead have put complete faith and keep trusting Him with our duaás and hope will all our heart they will be answered when He knows when they need to be answered. May Allah accept all our duaás